Massachusetts Law About Veterinary Practice
- MGL c. 13, s. 26; MGL c. 13, s. 27; and MGL. c. 13, s. 28. Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine.
- MGL c.112 sec. 54-60: Licensing Provisions for Registration of Veterinarians.
- MGL c.140, s.138A Importation of dogs and cats, rules for resellers, requirements for sale of devocalized dogs and cats
- MGL c.272, s.80-1/2 Devocalization of Dogs and Cats
- St.2014, c.293 An Act Protecting Animal Welfare and Safety (PAWS Act), "Puppy Doe" Law. Increases penalties for animal abuse, and requires veterinarians to report suspected abuse.
256 CMR: Rules and Regulations Governing Veterinarians
Kippenberger v. Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine, 448 Mass. 1035 (2007). "Substantial evidence supports the board's decision that Kippenberger's treatment of each of the dogs failed to meet the acceptable standard of veterinary care. Kippenberger's treatment ranged from performing unnecessary surgery to misdiagnoses to neglect. Kippenberger's assertions in his defense are either unsupported by the record or insubstantial. Even if, for example, the board incorrectly stated that Kippenberger had failed to offer any defense of his care for one of the dogs, substantial evidence still supports the final assessment that Kippenberger's care of that dog was substandard."
Fitzgerald v. Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine, 399 Mass. 901(1987). "In proceedings before a hearing officer arising out of a matter referred to her by the Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine concerning a veterinarian's alleged improper treatment of an injured dog, the hearing officer, in construing and applying the terms "malpractice," "gross misconduct," and "conduct reflecting unfavorably on the profession of veterinary medicine," as those terms are used in G. L. c. 112, Sections 59 and 61, correctly looked to the general standards of ethics and practice which are adhered to in the profession of veterinary medicine."
Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine. Find out about fees and licensing renewals. Also has an FAQ about the Board.
AmJur Pleading and Practice Forms-Vol. 24B-Veterinarians Sections 1-32.
AmJur Proof of Facts 3d, Vol. 90-Sec. 1: Veterinary Malpractice Actions.
ALR4th Vol. 71 p. 811-Veterinarian's Liability for Malpractice.