Massachusetts Law About Service Animals
- MGL c.90, s.14A Protection of blind pedestrians crossing or attempting to cross ways
- MGL c.129, s.39C Hearing Dog Business Licensing
- MGL c.129, s.39D Hearing Dog Trainer Rights
- MGL c.129, s.39F Service Dog Trainer Rights
- MGL c.272, s.85B Assistance Animals Stolen or Attacked
- MGL c.272, s.98A Physically handicapped persons with dog guides; public places or conveyances
- 40 USC 3103 Admission of guide dogs or other service animals accompanying individuals with disabilities
- 42 USC 12101 et seq. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- 28 CFR 36.104 Service Animal, Defined. Provides detailed description of what a service animal is, and includes the following statement: "The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition."
Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business, US Dept. of Justice. Answers a variety of questions about allowing service animals into public establishments, such as What is a Service Animal?, How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?, My county health department has told me that only a seeing eye or guide dog has to be admitted. If I follow those regulations, am I violating the ADA? and more.
Fair Housing Rights of Individuals With Disabilities, Mass. Attorney General. Under "Reasonable Accomondation," page says in part: " M.G.L. c.151B may require that an owner modify his/her "no pets" policy as a reasonable accommodation for a person with a disability who requires the use of a service or emotional support animal because of the person's disability. "
Information About Service Animals, Mass. Attorney General. Common questions and answers about service animals in businesses, taxis and more.
Service Animals, Mass. Office on Disability. Outlines applicable laws and their enforcement.