Massachusetts Law About Bicycles
Laws for Bicyclists and Motorists in the Presence of Bicycles: Rules of the Road, Chapter 4, pp. 102-104, Registry of Motor Vehicles. Detailed summary of bicycle laws, with cites to laws.
- MGL c.6 § 116E Training for Law Enforcement in Bicycle Safety Enforcement
- MGL c.82, §§ 35-36 Bike Paths
- MGL c.85 § 11B Bicycles: rules for operation, helmets, other requirements. The Primary Bike Law
- MGL c.85 § 11D Stores selling or renting bikes must display sign about helmet law. Renters must make helmets available.
- MGL c.85 § 11E Cyclist stopped for a traffic law must give his name and address; ticketing procedure is same as that for motor vehicles in MGL c.90C
- MGL c.89 § 2 Rules for car passing bicycle
- MGL c.90 § 14 Rules for cars sharing the road with bicycles and others
- MGL c.90E Bikeways
- MGL c.266 § 41 Larceny of bicycles, 2d conviction
720 CMR 9 Driving on State Highways. Includes provisions that apply to bicycles, such as yielding to pedestrians, and limitations on bicycle operation on certain roads
Bikes and the T, MBTA. Explains when and how you can bring your bike on the subway, commuter rail or bus.
Boston Bicycle Plan, 2000-2010, City of Boston. "The goal of the committee is to bring together bicyclists, neighborhood residents, advocacy groups and public agencies to encourage and promote safe bicycling, thereby enhancing the Boston business community, its neighborhoods and the environment."
Same Roads. Same Rules. Includes: Tips for Motorists: Learn how to safely interact with bicyclists; Tips for Bicyclists: Learn the rules of the road and how to stay safe; and Myths vs. Reality: Why some people do the things they do, and why it might not be the best idea.
Motor Vehicle Law and Practice, 4th ed. (Mass. Practice v.11), West, 2008 with supplement. Section 11.11: Bicycles.
Municipal Law and Practice, 5th ed.(Mass. Practice, v.18A), West, 2006 with supplement. Section 16.17: Bicycles
Consumer Law, 3d ed. (Mass. Practice v.35), West, 2010. Section 7:111: Recreational equipment--Bicycles.