Massachusetts Superior Court Standing Order 5-80: Trial Session Hours
(Amended) This standing order supercedes Standing Order No. 5-80, dated August 15, 1980. Applicable to All Counties
Insofar as it relates to the establishment of "official hours for trial sessions, civil and criminal, of the Superior Court in each county," the following guidelines are applicable:
1. When assigned to a trial session, justices, except when otherwise directed by the Chief Justice, are expected to observe the following hours:
(1) 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.-available in the courthouse.
(2) 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.-in session, with a reasonable morning and afternoon recess.
(3) 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.-lunch recess.
2. In the event that a daily trial session is concluded substantially before the expiration of the time assigned therefor, the trial session justice is requested to report the status of that session to the Regional Administrative Justice or His/Her Designee. Justices necessarily absent for compelling reasons during any substantial portion of a scheduled daily trial session should likewise notify the appropriate Regional Administrative Justice or His/Her Designee. Each justice should advise the Chief Justice of the Superior Court as to unexpected developments which may warrant a change in a current assignment.
Adopted August 15, 1980. amended August 25, 1988, effective October 1, 1988.